Regular Meeting of May 16, 2012
Call to Order at 7:00 pm
Multi-Purpose Room of the Community Services District
A. CALL TO ORDER
B. ROLL CALL OF DIRECTORS– President Tolbert,_ Directors Brook,_ Francis,_ Osborne,_ Shepherd_
C. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
D. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
The Board generally considers items in the order listed on the agenda. However, items may be considered in any order established by direction of the Board. Under certain circumstances new agenda items can be added and action taken by a two-thirds vote of the Board.
Rec: By Motion, the Board may adopt the agenda for May 16, 2012.
1. Mr. Seth Shteir, California Desert Field Representative of the National Park Conservation Association, to present an update on the Sand to Snow National Monument proposal, also known as the California Desert Protection Act of 2011, originally introduced by Senator Diane Feinstein in 2009, and activities the community may undertake in support of this legislation.
2. Mr. Greg Moon to make a proposal to the Board of Directors regarding the potential use of the vacant Women’s Club property on Mojave Drive, by sale or lease for use as Church property.
Note: Should the Board of Directors wish to enter negotiations regarding the property, the Board must, in Open Public Session, designate a member (or up to two members) of the Board, or another designee, to enter into discussions with Mr. Moon regarding the property at 49584 Mojave
Drive, Morongo Valley, CA 92256. Additionally, the Board may request a closed session under California
Government Code Section 54954.9 to confer or provide instruction to their designated negotiator(s) on any aspect of the negotiations to include, but not necessarily limited to; price, terms of payment, or other terms and conditions related to such negotiations.
F. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
If you wish to comment on any subject on the agenda, or any subject not on the agenda during Public Comments, please fill out a Request to Speak form and give it to the Secretary. The President will recognize you at the appropriate time.
In order to assist in the orderly and timely conduct of the meeting, the Board of Directors takes this time to consider your comments on items of concern which are on the agenda. When called to speak, please state your name and residence. Notify the President if you wish to be on or off the camera. Please limit your comments to three (3) minutes or less.
Inappropriate behavior which disrupts, disturbs or otherwise impedes the orderly conduct of the meeting may result in forfeiture of public comment privileges. The Board of Directors is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda. At the end of the Agenda, an opportunity will also be provided for members of the public to speak on any subject within the Board’s authority. Matters raised under “Public Comment” may not be acted upon at that time.
G. AGENCY REPORTS
1. Financial Report – Director Brook
2. Legislative Report – Director Francis
H. CONSENT CALENDAR – Items listed on the consent calendar are considered to be routine matters or are considered formal documents covering previous District Board instruction. The items listed on the consent calendar may be enacted by one motion and a second. There will be no separate discussion of the consent calendar items unless a member of the Board of Directors or the General Manager requests discussion on specific consent calendar items at the beginning of the meeting. Public Requests to comment on consent calendar items under the “Oral Communications” section should be filed with the Secretary to the Board before the consent calendar is called.
1. Approval of Minutes
Rec: By Motion, the Board may reconsider the amended Minutes of the Special Meeting of February 1, 2012; consider the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of February 15, 2012, and the Regular Meeting of April 18, 2012.
2. Morongo Valley Fire Department Monthly Fire and Training Reports for April 2012.
Rec: By Motion, receive and file.
3. Park Services Facility Use Monthly Report for April 2012.
Rec: By Motion, receive and file.
I. NEW BUSINESS
1. Consideration of a request from Ms. Mindy Ross for approval of installation of chain-link fencing at 49584 Mojave Drive in Morongo Valley (Old Women’s Club) for the purpose of keeping out vandals or other trespassers on the property which is adjacent to her residence.
Rec: By Motion, provide direction to Management regarding the Board’s consideration for fencing or acquisition of bids for same.
2. Consideration of a request by letter from Ms. Kathy Lahti for the Parks and Grounds Committee to explore opportunities incorporating activities which could be offered to adults and seniors such as sporting events, educational classes, lectures or other similar activities as services to residents.
Rec: by Motion, direct the Manager to forward the request to the Parks and Grounds Committee for review and development of recommendations for the Board’s consideration.
3. Consideration of a request for adoption of Position Classification Descriptions for Parks and Grounds Maintenance Technician and Receptionist/Records Technician. These positions do not presently have written job descriptions and are currently filled by Mr. Eleodoro Gonzalez on a Full-time hourly basis and Ms. Charlene Cioffi on a Part-time hourly basis.
Rec: By Motion, adopt the Position Classification Descriptions for the two positions.
4. Consideration of a request to authorize the Manager to facilitate initiation of the annual Audit process with the District’s Auditor, David B. Marion, CPA of Smith Marion & Company, LLP of the Grand Terrace Office of the firm; further, authorize the President to sign the annual Audit Engagement Letter for Fiscal Year End, June 30, 2012. Fees for the 2012 Audit are estimated to be $6,700 from funds available under Code 5085 Auditing/Accounting.
Rec: By Motion, authorize the Manager to initiate the annual audit process and the President of the Board to sign the Audit Engagement Letter.
5. Consideration of a request submitted by the Manager to adopt a “Community Guide to Board of Directors Meetings” such as is used in other governmental agencies providing for recommended rules for the orderly conduct of the business meetings of the Board pursuant to the Ralph M. Brown Act. This matter was recommended by guest Counsel, Mr. Lizarraga, following our last Board meeting.
Rec: By Motion, adopt the meeting procedures recommended, with direction that a copy be appended to future meeting agendas of the Board.
6. Consideration for adoption of a Resolution providing for an update of Resolution No. 137 adopted in 1977 providing for a conflict of interest code that requires the disclosure of economic interests of certain officials and employees of the Morongo Valley Community Services District, in compliance with the conflict of interest provisions of Article 2 of Chapter 7 of the Political Reform Act of 1974 (Government Code section 87200 et seq.) (“The Act”). This revision has been reviewed by County Counsel for compliance with San Bernardino County regulations as well.
Rec: By reading of the Resolution, (after the title and scope, a motion to waive further reading may be considered), a motion to adopt, and authorizing the President to sign the Resolution, the Board shall update the requirements as is provided under “The Act”, thereby revising the District’s Conflict of Interest Code to comply with changes to “The Act” which includes categories of employees not formerly provided for in the 1977 Resolution of the Board.
7. Consideration for waiver of the Regular Monthly Business Meetings of the Board of Directors in July and August, 2012
Rec: By motion, dispense with the Regular Business Meeting of the Board for July and August, 2012, with provision that a Special Meeting may be called in event urgent items arise requiring the Board’s action during that period of time.
J. CONTINUED BUSINESS
1. Consideration for adoption of a Resolution for the formation, or reformation, of designated Standing Committees of the Board to facilitate additional participation by members of the Morongo Valley community.
Background: This matter was reviewed and discussed at the April Board meeting with a recommendation by counsel that it be brought back to the Board in the form of a Resolution providing for identification of specific terms and conditions
Rec: By reading of the Resolution, (after the title and scope, a motion to waive further reading may be considered), a motion to adopt, and authorizing the President to sign the Resolution, the Board will have provided for the terms of formation, or reformation, of designated Standing Committees of the Board.
Such “Standing Committees” under the California Government Code section 54952 (Brown Act), are considered to be “legislative bodies” required to meet provisions of “The Act” to include posting of agendas and open meetings amongst other requirements. Additionally, such members of these Standing Committees will also be required to complete “Ethics Training” under requirements of the District Conflict of Interest Code.
K. OLD BUSINESS
L. REPORT ON DIRECTOR ACTIONS
1. President’s Report
2. Report of the Ad-Hoc Committee, Chaired by Director Brook, formed to study the potential library closure
3. Directors Remarks
M. PUBLIC COMMENTS
In order to assist in the orderly and timely conduct of the meeting, the Board takes this time to consider your comments on items of concern which are not on the agenda. When you are called to speak, please state your name and community of residence. Notify the President if you wish to be on or off the camera. Please limit your comments to three (3) minutes or less. Inappropriate behavior which disrupts, disturbs or otherwise impedes the orderly conduct of the meeting will result in forfeiture of your public comment privileges. The Board of Directors is prohibited by State law from taking action or discussing items not included on the printed agenda.
1. Time, date and place for the next Regular Board of Directors meeting.
7:00 pm on June 16, 2012 at the Community Multi-purpose Room, Covington Park at 11165 Vale Drive, Morongo Valley, CA 92256.
2. Time, date and place for Board of Directors Budget Workshops with the General Manager to review projected revenues and provide recommendations for the Manager’s consideration in preparation of the annual budget plan for fiscal year 2012-2012. These will be agendized open meeting workshops only, without any required action items on the agenda.
The initial workshop has been tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 3:00 p.m. to be held at the Community Multi-purpose Room, Covington Park at 11165 Vale Drive, Morongo Valley, CA 92256. Should a follow-up workshop be advisable, a tentative date for scheduling is projected for Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 3:00 p.m. at the same location as stated above.
I hereby certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the forgoing agenda for the Morongo Valley CSD Board of Directors was posted on the District Office windows, the Morongo Valley Café window and the Covington Park snack shack not less than 72 hours prior to the meeting. Dated this 11th day of May, 2012.
Rick E. Lebel, Secretary to the Board
Preliminary Agenda Approved for Posting: _____________________________
Johnny Tolbert, President