Regular Meeting of March 21, 2012
Call to Order at 7:00 pm
Multi-Purpose Room of the Community Services District
A. CALL TO ORDER
B. ROLL CALL OF DIRECTORS – President Osborne,_ Directors Shepherd,_ Francis,_ Tolbert,_ Brook_
C. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
D. REORGANIZATION OF THE OFFICERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board may take time to nominate one another for the Officer positions and vote on same.
Rec: By Minute Motion, appoint the District President, Vice-President, and Treasurer pursuant to CA Gov. Code Section 61220. President__________Vice-President__________Treasurer__________
E. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
At this time, community members who have filled out a REQUEST TO SPEAK FORM may address the Board of Directors on items that are listed on the Closed Session item(s) of the Agenda. Please limit your comments to three minutes per speaker. Comments on additional items will be taken at other times listed on the Agenda.
F. ADJOURN TO CLOSED (EXECUTIVE) SESSION
1. Public Employee Performance Evaluation: Interim General Manager
2. Public Employee Contract: Management Agreement
G. RECONVENE TO OPEN SESSION
1. President Reports:
Information Item - Actions Resulting from Closed Session included a review of performance over the past 25 days and the development of a management agreement by the District.
H. CONSENT CALENDAR – Items of a general and routine nature may be adopted by Minute Motion together in one vote, or at the request of any Director, any item may be removed from the Consent Calendar for discussion prior to a vote.
1. Adoption of the Agenda
Rec: By Minute Motion, the Board may adopt the agenda for March 21, 2012.
2. Approval of Minutes
Rec: By Minute Motion, the Board may approve the Minutes of the Special Meeting of Friday, February 24, 2012 and the Regular Meeting of Wednesday, February 15, 2012.
3. Morongo Valley Fire Department Monthly Fire and Training Reports for February 2012.
Rec: By Minute Motion, receive and file.
4. Park Services Facility Use Monthly Report for February 2012.
Rec: By Minute Motion, receive and file.
At this time the Board of Directors would like to acknowledge the recognition of Firefighter Steven Buckles, who was recently recognized by his peers, the community, and the Morongo Valley Firefighter’s Auxiliary at a special dinner in his honor at Copper Mountain College, as the “Firefighter Of The Year” for the Morongo Valley Fire Department. The Board of Directors congratulates Firefighter Buckles for his recognition and wishes him the very best in his future endeavors.
J. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS
At this time, any person who has filled out a REQUEST TO SPEAK FORM wishing to comment on other Agenda items may address the Board of Directors. Comments shall be limited to three minutes per speaker unless the Board of Directors authorizes additional time for comments.
K. NEW BUSINESS
1. Appointment of a General Manager and Secretary to the Board of Directors.
Rec: By Minute Motion, appoint the General Manager and Secretary to the Board of Directors thereby permitting the Manager to proceed with general daily business matters and sign official documents on behalf of the Board of Directors.
2. Ratification of a Management Agreement between the District and the General Manager.
Rec: By Minute Motion, ratify a Management Agreement developed between the District and the General Manager.
3. Authorization for the General Manager to initiate a recruitment process for the vacant Fire Chief’s Position.
Rec: By Minute Motion, authorize the General Manager to proceed with the recruitment process
4. Establishment of New Business Office Hours as recommended by the General Manager.
Rec: By Minute Motion, authorize the Establishment of New Business Office Hours of Operation
5. Request to Expend Funds for Purchase of a Computer Work Station and Relocation of the existing General Manager Office workstation to the reception and records area.
Rec: By Minute Motion, approve the request for purchase of the computer work station from the District’s authorized vendor, Hi-Desert Computers of Yucca Valley in the amount of $1052.20 from the General Administrative Expense Funds and relocate the existing workstation to the reception area.
6. Recommended Rejection of a Tort Claim filed by The Myers Law Group of Rancho Cucamonga, CA on behalf of their client, claiming wrongful termination, in January of this year. This claim has been forwarded to the District’s Risk Management Agency (SDRMA) for review.
Rec: By Minute Motion, authorize the General Manager to review the claim with the Special District’s Risk Management Authority for their recommended processing.
7. The Morongo Valley Youth Sports League has requested permission to use the Geeson Baseball Fields for the May through August season and offered to pay the electrical costs for the snack bar.
Rec: By Minute Motion, authorize the use of the fields as requested.
8. Continuation of the Year to Year Service Agreement for the AMKUS Rescue Tools used by the Morongo Valley Fire Department for vehicle extrication and other rescue needs.
Rec: By Minute Motion authorize the General Manager to sign the Annual Service Agreement with Diamondback Fire & Rescue of Temecula, CA for on-site service of this specialized equipment in the amount of $990 from the Apparatus and Maintenance Account for our two systems. The agreement provides for loan of a system while our system is being maintained and a reduced labor and parts rate in event additional service or repairs are required.
L. CONTINUED BUSINESS
A report from the Ad Hoc Committee Chair on the Fire Apparatus Safety Inspection Program.
- Director Brook.
M. OLD BUSINESS
N. REPORT ON DIRECTOR ACTIONS
O. REPORTS AND REMARKS
1. Financial Report – Director Osborne
2. Legislation Report – Director Francis – Update on State of California Fire Fee
3. General Manager’s Report
– Update on Insurance Services Office Evaluation and Grading
– Establishment of Directors Correspondence and Periodicals File
4. Directors Remarks
P. PUBLIC COMMENTS
This is the time and place for any person who has filled out a REQUEST TO SPEAK FORM wishing to address the Board of Directors on any item of interest to the public. Remarks are limited to maximum of three minutes for each speaker, additional speakers on the same topic may not give up their time to another speaker, and there shall be no more than fifteen minutes allocated for public testimony on any one particular issue. CA Gov. Code Section 54954.3 (b).
Willful boisterous or disruptive conduct shall not be permitted. CA Gov. Code Section 54957.9; Public Criticism of policies, programs, services or the acts or omissions of the District Board is permitted under CA Gov Code Section 54954.3 (c) however public presentations that include charges or complaints against specific Directors or employees should be avoided due to potential liability or legal issues as this Section of the Code does not confer any privilege or protection for expression beyond that provided by law. Such charges or complaints may be submitted in writing to the General Manager or by confidential letter to the members of the Board of Directors.
I hereby certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the forgoing agenda for the Morongo Valley CSD Board of Directors was posted on the District Office windows, the Morongo Valley Café window and the Covington Park snack shack not less than 72 hours prior to the meeting. Dated this 15th day of March, 2012.
Rick E. Lebel, Recording Secretary
Agenda Approved: Chuck Osborne, President _____________________________